Why Do Jewelry Turn Black?
Tarnished jewelry is a real heartbreaker. It is a huge turn-off for the people who love to flaunt their exquisite accessories collection. So, let us talk today about why does jewelry tarnish. We will also discuss how you can avert this situation and make your jewelry look as new as ever.
So, why do silver rings tarnish? Well, to be precise, it happens when the metal surface comes in direct and prolonged connection with makeup, body oils, perfumes, or sweat. Moreover, it can also occur when the jewelry comes in contact with lotions, deodorants, and any other external material.
And what do tarnished jewelry look like? Well, its color ranges from dull to dark black. It depends on the metal used in the accessory and how well you care about it. So, is there any way to prevent your expensive jewelry from tarnishing? Fortunately, yes. We got everything covered for you in the upcoming sections of the blog.
What should be done to prevent jewelry from tarnishing?
Do you wonder why does my jewelry tarnish so quickly? If you stay in a highly humid location, your jewelry is prone to degrade rapidly. Thankfully, you can prevent this situation with the help of these steps:
The first and foremost thing you can do here is to keep your Solid Silver Compass Necklace dry. Avoid jewelry interaction with the nail color, perfume, or sweat. Now, you cannot stop your perspiration naturally.
So, what you do here is keep wiping your jewelry and hands with a clean, dry cloth. Moreover, ensure you store your jewelry in closed, airtight containers. It will keep it safe and dry for a longer time.
Separate Jewelry by Metal
Another amazing way to protect your jewelry from tarnishing is by separating it by its metal type. You need to go for three major categories here; costume, silver, and fine jewelry. The lesser the interaction, the higher the chances of their longevity and luster. You can ask an expert more about why does jewelry tarnish.
Go for a Jewelry Protector Spray
Have you heard about a jewelry protector spray? Experts call it an impressive defensive shield that can protect your jewelry against rust and damage. That’s not all. These sprays can also save you against skin allergic reactions like hives, rashes, and itching.
In addition, it acts as a buffer between oxygen, water, and your accessory. What more can you ask for? In case of any doubts, reach out to an expert as to why does jewelry tarnish.
Which Metals Tarnish?
- Brass - Please note that all brass jewelry items do tarnish over time. This process gives it a more rustic and organic look. Why does brass tarnish? Well, it happens due to the copper content present in it. Copper oxidizes when it comes in contact with the skin, making it look organic. On the other hand, it can even sometimes react to the skin, turning it green. It happens due to an allergic reaction.
- Sterling Silver - Why does my jewelry tarnish? You see, elements like moisture, sulfur (found in the atmosphere around industrial areas), and chlorine (found in spas and swimming pools) damage the sheen of sterling silver. Apart from this, your silver jewelry is prone to damage if your skin’s acidic level or pH level is also high. But the good news is that removing this tarnish is super easy. We got everything for you in the upcoming sections of the blog.
- Gold - Although gold jewelry over 14 karats should not damage over time, tarnish often happens when the golden coat rubs off after wearing it for years. Apart from this, gold-plated jewelry is also vulnerable to staining depending on its base metal. For example, if your base metal is copper, bronze, nickel, or brass, it can be exposed when the golden polish wears off.
- Copper - Copper jewelry needs no introduction. It has been around for centuries now. Like other metals, copper is also vulnerable to damage when exposed to moisture and air. This process is called oxidation. But how will you identify if your copper jewelry is tarnished? Its color will change to blue-green over time. Copper is also a popular base metal in other types of jewelry. It also makes them prone to damage and tarnishes.
How to Clean Blackened Jewels?
Here are some simple steps to clean your blackened jewelry:
- Dish Soap – It is one of the easiest ways to clean your blackened jewelry. All you need to do is add a few drops of liquid dish soap to lukewarm water. Dip a clean, soft cloth into the mix and gently rub off your jewelry tarnish. Rinse it well with running water and wipe dry with a soft towel.
- Baking Soda – Mix around three parts of baking soda with one part of cold water to remove the tarnish from your expensive jewelry. You can use a lint-free, soft cloth or a toothbrush in this process. Gently rub off the tarnish, wash the jewelry under clean water, and wipe it with a soft towel.
- Toothpaste – Not many of you may know, but toothpaste can do wonders when removing black tarnish from jewelry. However, ensure you take white toothpaste (and not gel-based toothpaste) for this process. Just rub a dab of toothpaste gently on the tarnished jewelry piece. You will see instant results within minutes.
- Lemon Juice – Mix an equal amount of lemon juice and lukewarm water in a bowl. Now, place your damaged jewelry piece in it for the next 10 to 15 minutes. It is a brilliant household hack to remove tarnish from jewelry pieces. You can also rub your jewelry with a soft-bristled toothbrush for better results. Once the tarnish is gone, you can wash it with cold water and wipe it dry with a clean towel.
- Aluminum Foil - It is another excellent household hack that will never disappoint you. Take a small amount of foil and rub it against the tarnish on the jewelry. It will effectively remove all the blackness from the surface of the jewelry, leaving it as new as ever. Remove all the dirt by washing it in cold water and wiping it with a clean towel.
How to Clean Gold Tarnish?
Step 1: Take your gorgeous Solid Gold Box Chain Necklace in a bowl filled with mild dish soap and lukewarm water.
Step 2: Swish all the items carefully without falling them down. And leave them in the mixture for the next 15-20 minutes.
Step 3: Take out all the items on a clean towel. Take a soft-bristled toothbrush and gently remove the debris and grime accumulated in the chain links and crevices.
Step 4: Put everything back into the mixture. Swish it once again and take out the items in the filter. Run it under cold water and wipe dry with a soft cloth.
How to Clean Silver Tarnish?
Step 1: Make a mix of lukewarm water and a cleaning agent. You can take baking soda, toothpaste, soap, or lemon juice for this process.
Step 2: Take the mixture in a soft-bristled toothbrush or a clean cloth. Rub it gently on the stunning Leo Solid Silver Rings and Iconic Atolyestone Band Ring until the tarnish comes off. Make sure you do not rub it abrasively, as it can cause some permanent damage to the jewelry.
Step 3: Once the tarnish is gone, dip the jewelry in a bowl of clean, cold water for a few minutes. Take the pieces out and wipe dry with a clean, soft cloth. And your shining sterling silver is back! Moreover, you can meet with a silver jewelry expert to know why does my silver necklace tarnish so quickly.
Under What Conditions Should Jewelry Be Stored For Blackening?
Do you always wonder why does my gold jewelry turn copper? Well, it is because you are not storing it properly. So, here we are with some amazing jewelry storage tips and tricks that will keep them safe from tarnishing.
- Clean your jewelry – First, clean your Baroque Pearl Beaded Bracelet, Golden Premium Classic Ring Band, and Signature Arrow Bar Pendant before keeping them back in their boxes. It will eradicate all the traces of sweat, water, and sulfur from it, making it last and shine longer.
- Airtight Boxes Please – It is where most women make mistakes. Please pick airtight containers to store your expensive jewelry pieces. It will prevent moisture from entering the boxes and keep your jewelry polish intact for longer. Apart from this, ensure you choose a cloth-lined jewelry box for storing your jewelry. It will prevent your jewelry from rubbing and scratching.
- Separation is Crucial – As mentioned above, make sure you store your jewelry separately as per their metal type. Mixing metals can lead to reactions and jewelry tarnishing.
- Dark and Dry Location: Experts always recommend storing your delicate jewelry like Kyanite Macrame Bracelet in a dark and dry location. It is scientifically proven that such spaces help keep the jewelry intact for years. Last but not least, you can also consult a jewelry expert to understand why does silver plated jewelry tarnish.